Australia’s No 1 Kyrgios wins Brisbane title, but could miss Australian Open
Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios won the Brisbane International title at the Queensland Tennis Centre on Sunday.
However, the 22-year-old has warned that a knee injury could rule him out of the Australian Open.
Kyrgios beat American tennis player Ryan Harrison 6-4 6-2 in the final with 17 aces.
According to Sky Sports News, Kyrgios warned officials that a knee injury, over which he had worn protective strapping all week, could ruin his participation at his home Grand Slam.
The Canberra-born star, who is Australia's No 1 was denied a medical time-out during the first set, when leading 5-3.
As a result, Kyrgios insisted that his Australian Open hopes were at stake. He then questioned the officials allowing Harrison a mid-match break off the court after the first set.
Nevertheless, the win improved his world ranking to No 17, and earned Kyrgios his seventh ATP title and his first in his home country.
This year’s Australian Open will be played between 15-28 January.
Andy Murray doesn’t want a new coach, says Tim Henman
Former British No.1 Tim Herman believes that Andy Murray does not need to bring in a replacement for former coach Ivan Lendl.
Murray, who is currently ranked world No.16, announced his split from Lendl last week Friday.
This was after two spells together which yielded three Grand Slam titles and two Olympic singles golds.
Henman stated that Jamie Delgado, a long-term member of Murray's coaching team, will step up and do the job.
"With Andy's experience and knowledge of the game, I wouldn't think he needs to bring another person into the team," Henman told BBC.
"He's got Jamie who played to a decent level and did a very good coaching job with Gilles Muller first, and has been with Andy for a good couple of years and understands him as well as anyone.
British star Murray has recovered from a hip injury and he's hoping to participate at the 2018 Australian Open which will be played in January.
"It's been well documented that Andy has been having a tough time with his hip but he had a great couple of periods with Lendl and I think it's more about focusing on the positives and the things the whole team has learned," Henman continued.
"Having seen him train and practice at Wimbledon quite a lot, he is working unbelievably hard and making big strides.
"Most people who have just finished the year now will be having time off before thinking about their pre-season, but Andy's had weeks and months to really build up," he added.
"I think that with still six or seven weeks before the season starts, I'm quite confident that he is going to be back ready and raring to go."
Roger Federer surpasses Tiger Woods in all-time earnings
Tennis superstar Roger Federer has passed American golfer Tiger Woods as the highest earner in individual sports.
This is after Federer reached the semi-finals of the year-end ATP Finals in London, England on Tuesday with a 7-6, (8/6), 5-7, 6-1 victory over German player Alexander Zverev.
Forbes.com have since revealed that the 36-year-old's victory took his career earnings to $110 235 682, surpassing Woods’ tally of $110 061 012.
Federer, who is currently ranked second men's singles, is widely regarded as the greatest tennis player of all-time. He has won 19 Grand Slam singles titles, the most in history for a male tennis player
Nicknamed King Roger, Federer held the world number one spot for a record total of 302 weeks, including a record 237 consecutive weeks.
King Roger has done very well in majors - having won a record eight Wimbledon titles, five Australian Open titles, a record five consecutive US Open titles and one French Open title.
Woods' earnings have stalled since revelations in 2009 about his private life and a string of long-term injuries in recent years.
The 41-year-old is among the most successful golfers of all time having won 14 major tournaments, second only to fellow American Jack Nicklaus.
He is expected to launch another comeback from an injury at the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas later this month.
Rafael Nadal ends year as tennis world number
Spanish tennis star Rafael Nadal is set to end 2017 as world number one after a second-round win over Hyeon Chung at the 2017 Rolex Paris Masters.
The 31-year-old defeated South Korean Chung 7-5 6-3 in one hour and 48 minutes at the Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy in France on Wednesday.
Nadal has risen from ninth at the start of the year via French and US Open victories.
"It was impossible for me to think about when you are coming back from a tough time, without playing tennis and with so many injuries," Nadal said on BBC.
Nicknamed The King of Clay, Nadal will play Uruguay's world number 36 Pablo Cuevas in the last 16 on Thursday.
Nadal will be the oldest player to finish a campaign at world number one since they were introduced in 1973.
The 16-time Grand Slam champion also finished 2008, 2010 and 2013 at the top of the rankings.
WTA Finals trophy and year-end world No 1 up for grabs
The WTA Finals trophy and year-end world number one spot up will be up for grabs in Singapore.
The 2017 WTA Finals will be held in Kallang, Singapore and the tournament will be contested by eight singles players.
Garbine Muguruza, Karolina Pliskova, Elina Svitolina, Caroline Wozniacki and Jelena Ostapenko can all become world No 1 at the tournament.
Current world number one, Halep faces debutantes Svitolina and Caroline Garcia in the Red Group round robin, along with the Wozniacki.
While Muguruza is in White Group with Venus Williams, Pliskova and French Open champion Ostapenko.
"The dream came true. Is just the best feeling that I ever had in my tennis career so far," the Halep said on Sky Sports News.
"It's nice. I'm just enjoying the moment. I cannot describe in words what I feel, but it's a good feeling. I'm happy when I'm going to the courts now.""
The Romanian player has won 15 WTA tournaments since her breakthrough year in 2013.
British number one Konta parts ways with coach
British number one Johanna Konta has parted ways with her coach Wim Fissette after less than a year together.
The tennis player did not qualify for this month's WTA Finals in Singapore and will not play in the WTA Elite Trophy the week after.
"Wim Fissette and I have mutually decided to end our working relationship," Konta said according to BBC.
"My foot is improving but it is still advisable to rest it further.
"Things ended very amicably and I wish Wim all the best. We've achieved a lot together and I want to thank him for all his patience, hard work and expertise," she added.
The 26-year-old, who has a foot injury, will not play play again this season.
"I will be working with my team over the coming weeks to find the right way forward for me and my tennis," she said in a statement.
"The goal is to get a new coach or coaches in place as soon as possible but the focus will be on making the right decision rather than a quick decision."
She will continue to work with hitting partner Andrew Fitzpatrick, strength and conditioning specialist Gill Myburgh, physio Milly Mirkovic and mental coach Elena Sosa.
Federer reveals real reason he took break from tennis
Swiss super star Roger Federer has disclosed the real reason why he took a break from tennis.
The 36-year-old, who is widely regarded as the greatest tennis player in history, says the reason behind his decision was because he started 2017 very well.
Federer won this year's Australian Open, Indian Wells and Miami as he marked his return to the game he has dominated.
“Taking sort of nine weeks off in the clay court season wasn’t something actually I had planned," Roger Federer told Sky Sports.
"That only come by me winning the Australian, Indian Wells and Miami.
"That gave me that opportunity that I should maybe take it easy and save myself for the rest of the season," he added.
"So I hope that I will feel the benefit now while other guys are maybe getting a bit tired.
Federer, who is currently ranked world No. 2 in men's singles tennis, is looking forward to the upcoming tournaments.
"I’m actually still fresh in a sense because I didn’t play that much this season," he continued.
"I’m used to playing 70, 90, 100 matches a season, so this year that’s not the case.
"That’s why I feel refreshed for Shanghai, and also for Paris and London."
Anderson fails at final hurdle
"This isn't the result I wanted but I'll keep fighting & I'll be back," the South African said after his first career final.
He also called Nadal "one of the greatest ambassadors in our sport," per ATP World Tour.
While this was the last major of the season, there are still several big events remaining in 2017, including the Shanghai Masters and Paris Masters leading up to the ATP Finals. Based on Nadal's recent play, he should be able to once again end the year as the No. 1 player in the world.
Kvitova fights back from knife attack to shine
Battling back after a home-invasion knife attack last December that jeopardised her career, two-time Wimbledon winner Petra Kvitova matched her top US Open performance on Sunday by reaching the quarter-finals.
The 13th-seeded Czech left-hander ousted Spanish third seed and reigning Wimbledon champion Garbine Muguruza 7-6 (7/3), 6-3 to book a Tuesday last-eight date with US ninth seed and seven-time Grand Slam winner Venus Williams.
Kvitova, who also reached the 2015 quarter-finals, is playing only her eighth event of the year after left hand surgery following a break-in assault last December that is still under investigation by Czech police.
Defying age and illness, Venus reaches 39th Slam quarter-final
Defying an energy-sapping disease, Venus Williams has pushed herself farther than she ever imagined at age 37 to reach her 39th career Grand Slam quarter-final at the US Open.
US ninth seed Williams, seeking her eighth Grand Slam title and third US Open crown, defeated Spain’s 35th-ranked Carla Suarez Navarro 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 Sunday.
She booked a Tuesday fight for a semi-final spot against Czech 13th seed Petra Kvitova, a two-time Wimbledon winner who defeated Spanish third seed and reigning Wimbledon champion Garbine Muguruza 7-6 (7/3), 6-3.
Maria Sharapova says players fear her
Maria Sharapova made the US Open last 32 on Wednesday, insisting she has instilled renewed fear into her rivals and rekindled the love from her fans.
The former world number one and five-time major winner pulled off a 6-7 (4/7), 6-4, 6-1 win over Timea Babos of Hungary.
It was her second three-set match, having seen off world number two Simona Halep on Monday in what was her first Grand Slam match since being hit with a 15-month doping ban.
Anderson gets past tricky Gulbis in US Open
South Africa’s top tennis player, Kevin Anderson, is in buoyant mood after reaching the third round of the US Open.
The 28th-seeded Anderson on Wednesday cruised past Ernests Gulbis, beating the Latvian player in straight sets with a 6-3, 7-5, 6-4 scoreline.
Rafael Nadal slams fans at US open for rowdiness
Rafael Nadal has conquered the French Open 10 times and battled career-threatening knee and wrist injuries, but his greatest challenge awaits him - telling rowdy New Yorkers to be quiet.
The world number one and two-time US Open champion took his first-round record at the season's concluding Grand Slam to 13-0 on Tuesday with a 7-6 (8/6), 6-2, 6-2 win over Serbia's Dusan Lajovic.
But with torrential rain lashing the Flushing Meadows site, the roof on the showpiece Arthur Ashe stadium was shut tight, creating a giant echo-chamber for the boisterous crowd of 24 000 beneath which Nadal openly complained about.
Roger Federer survives massive US Open scare
Roger Federer made a narrow escape in a tense five-set thriller on Tuesday, sorting out worries about a back injury and poor preparation to reach the second round of the US Open.
The 19-time Grand Slam champion outlasted 70th-ranked US 19-year-old Frances Tiafoe 4-6, 6-2, 6-1, 1-6, 6-4 in a shockingly tough battle that boosted his hopes of a deep run on the New York hard-courts.
Druggie Sharapova dispatches of Halep
Despite all Simona Halep's work preparing for the US Open, the second-ranked Romanian could not prevent her worst nightmare from coming true - a first-round loss to Maria Sharapova.
The 146th-ranked Russian wildcard improved to 7-0 lifetime record against Halep with a 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 triumph on Monday on the New York hard-courts, marking Halep's 30th Grand Slam appearance without a title.
Druggie Sharapova draws World No. 2 in US Open Round 1
Russian wildcard Maria Sharapova, making her return to Grand Slam tennis after a 15-month doping suspension, will face world number two Simona Halep in the first round of the US Open.
Sharapova has a 6-0 career record against Halep, who last Sunday missed out on a third chance in as many months to climb to the top of the rankings.
Five-time Grand Slam champion Sharapova was issued a two-year suspension after testing positive for the banned heart and blood boosting drug meldonium at the 2016 Australian Open, but the Court of Arbitration for Sport reduced the ban on appeal.